Monday, June 29, 2015

Fourth of July and Family History

Me as city namesake, American Patriot and U.S. Constitution signer, Jonathan Dayton. 
     Two years ago I decided to do my genealogy and discovered I had a number of relatives who fought in the American Revolution. The Patriots were on my mom's side of the family and no one had ever taken the time to dig that deep into the family's roots. As a huge lover of American history this was an exciting discovery. I began pursuing membership in the Sons of the American Revolution as a way to honor the service and sacrifice my ancestors had made. If you aren't aware of the Sons of the American Revolution, they, along with the Daughters of the American Revolution, are two separate organizations comprised of decedents of American Revolution veterans.
     After contacting a local branch of the organization, I was informed of all the paperwork I would need to complete. Not only would I need to show my genealogical connections, I would also need legal proof of the relation for every generation back to the Patriot. After completing my research and finding all the necessary Wills and Last Testaments, Marriage Records, and Birth Certificates, I presented my research and paperwork to the membership coordinator for review. After checking each piece of proof and making sure everything was in order, he determined I could apply for membership in the Sons of the American Revolution. 
      After a couple meetings and going to a few events, I planned on joining at the beginning of 2014. As life often does however, my plans were delayed because of work and family commitments and I never followed through with joining SAR. Though, I still take great pride in knowing my ancestors were there at the founding of our country helped form the nation we cherish today. 
     A few months ago after receiving my original birth certificate I decided to research my birth families to see if any of my biological ancestors had served in the American Revolution. I've found there is possibly one or two, but I haven't begun the process of digging up the legal proof to substantiate the connection. The information isn't so much for me but to pass on to my birth mother and father's families. This rekindled my desire to finally follow through and join SAR. However, something I only learned today is making question my desire. 
     A fellow adoptee in a Facebook group I'm a member mentioned she too had discovered a relative had fought in the American Revolution but was denied membership in the Daughter's of the American Revolution because she was adopted. I was shocked by this revelation. I messaged her that I had been cleared to join but then I realized I never told the membership coordinator I was adopted. Upon further investigation, I discovered the Sons of the American Revolution has the same adoption prohibition. I fully understand both are a lineal group, which means members can trace their genealogical line to a Patriot, but I would've never imagined they would exclude adopted people. Their online FAQ's, respectively, state: 




    

     I find this "rule" appalling on both accounts. If a child is legally adopted by a family then they should be granted the same rights as their parents or siblings. My family is German on both sides and even though I am adopted I claim it as my own. To me, becoming a legal member of another family is the whole point of adoption. I can only imagine a family who has adopted a child telling that boy or girl, "sorry, you can't join our group because your adopted." Why is a bloodline so important? How does sharing the same DNA make someone more worthy of a candidate for membership? This "pure blood" nonsense sounds like something out of Harry Potter, or worse. 
     Yes, I would probably be able to join once I obtain the legal documents which biologically tie me to a Patriot Ancestor, but to me this isn't the point. The point is I am a member of the Hollst/Fryman family and I have the legal papers to prove it. Therefore, I am part of the family and they are a part of me. And this policy doesn't take into account the many adopted children who still do not have access to their original birth certificates. There are undoubtedly many adopted children who are descended from Patriots and could gain membership in either of these organizations but have no way of proving their lineal connection because of their state's laws. The only family they know is the one they were adopted into and that should count when it comes to determining an individual's legal and social genealogy. 
     This week is the Fourth of July and it's good to remember The Revolution was fought to give us freedom. And yes, freedom includes the Son's and Daughter's of the American Revolution having the right, as short-sighted as I believe it is, to exclude the adopted children of the families of American Patriots from their ranks. And I have the right point out how shortsighted and arrogant their polices are on this matter. I get they require a bloodline but I'm sure if both organizations dug deep enough, they'd find discrepancies in the lineage of some of their members. Think of how difficult life was in the 18th and 19th Centuries and how many children became orphans after their parents died. It's reasonable to assume some of those orphans were taken in by families who may have descended from Patriots and took their new family name. I would bet some of those "lineal" connections have been used for membership. As a side note, Declaration of Independence signer John Hancock was adopted by his aunt and uncle who had the same last name. 
     My Patriot Ancestor Private Jacob Hoover fought in the French and Indian War, was a member of the German Regiment which crossed the Delaware River with George Washington, encamped at Valley Forge during the bitter winter of 1777, and received an honorable discharge from the Continental Army in 1779. He is my ancestor and I will always claim this Patriotic lineage as my own, as I will my biological families lineage. I will continue to do my research and find the "legal" proof which shows my relation to the many Patriot ancestors I already know of and those I look forward to discovering. And I don't need to pay a bloated membership fee or wear a silly hat to be proud of and celebrate my heritage. Though, I love a good powdered wig!