Monday, October 19, 2015

It's in my blood

     I've written a number of posts regarding the dichotomy between NATURE Vs. NURTURE. Perhaps my struggles with weight gain, the gap between my front two teeth (before my dentist got ahold of me), or my flat feet can be attributed to my genetics. But how about the ability to string words together well, or sing a tune in-tune, or be comfortable performing in front of people, on the radio or on camera? Are these gentic traits or were they constructed by outside influences during my formative years? In other words, nurturing. It's hard to tell and it's an argument researches still quibble over to this day. If we could clone some of Elvis Presley's DNA would we create another megastar easily or was his environment the greater influence on his rise to fame? That's the question some ponder. 
     As I've shared before, my biological mother was a writer who wrote short plays, penned a few poems, and probably other interesting works or letters I'm yet to uncover. She also loved singing and performing and from the photos and home movies I've seen she didn't shy away from the spotlight. While I am not attempting to vouch for my own abilities, it's not too farfetched to say I'm a chip off the old block. My experiences and abilities certainly mirror those of some of my mother's.
Hosting a college TV show called Miami Valley Performs
     Many people who read this blog know I worked in radio and TV, both behind scenes and hosting a number of radio shows. I even hosted a few episodes of a college TV show (hopefully those tapes were long since destroyed). I related stories from the news, my life, or from people who wanted to share their story. One of my favorite aspects of hosting was the opportunity to interview people. Whether it was some rockstar or actor, or a local person with something important to say, I enjoyed talking to them and helping them relate their own stories. 
     I've been interviewed myself a few times throughout the years and it's always fun. I like the give and take of an interview and often discovered things about myself I perhaps hadn't thought about through their questions. One person I would've loved the chance to be interviewed by was my Grandpa Higgins. Why my own grandpa not Charlie Rose (my favorite interviewer on TV)? Let me explain. 
My mother Rosie, Grandpa Higgins, Uncle Jerry
     Since reuniting with my birth mother's family, from time to time I receive emails or notes in the mail that often include little tidbits from my biological past I was unaware of. Certain memories will come back to them and they share whatever detail that comes to mind. The email I received from my Uncle Jerry yesterday was quite unexpected and surprising. It seems my Grandpa Higgins hosted a local TV show in Greenville, Ohio during the late 1970's. Now, Donald wasn't a professional broadcaster or anything of the sort, to be sure. He was a retired gentleman who attended church and was involved with the Christian Business Men's Association in Darke County, Ohio. Through his community connections he found plenty of guests eager to be on his show and from what I've been told and observed on family home movies, he had an agreeable and friendly disposition. An ideal host, I suppose. Don't know if he did an opening monologue, though. 
     My uncle reports he was once a guest on the show to talk about his experiences in the Navy. Jerry recalls the entertainment for that episode was a woman from Greenville, Ohio by the name of Virginia Bollinger. She was a family friend who lived in the same trailer park as grandma and grandpa and was a local celebrity of sorts for her ability to whistle with the beauty of a song bird. Apparently she was in high demand and performed at local schools, churches, nursing homes and appeared on Grandpa's TV show, probably to promote her debut record Whistling Melodies
     I'd be curious if Grandpa Higgins ever had ambitions as a young man to pursue a career in broadcasting like I did. Having hosted both radio and TV shows I certainly know the appeal. Though, unlike when I began working in the mid 1980's, Grandpa Higgins was deciding what career to follow when TV was still in its infancy. The thought of working in TV was probably the furthest thing on his mind. In fact he was only 16-years-old when the first TV show appeared over NBC on July 7, 1936. Not very many people saw this as there were only a handful of TV receivers in homes at the time. I encourage you read the info on the youtube page about this historical broadcast.
      My Uncle Jerry also revealed about himself, after he left the Navy in the early 1970's he auditioned at the Columbia School of Broadcasting in Los Angeles, CA. He passed the audition with flying colors but decided to pursue a career in electronics instead of a broadcaster. Though for a short time while in school and before we joined the NAVY he worked as a disc jockey at WDRK in Greenville, OH and then later at WGLM in Richmond, IN. 
     I think it's clear broadcasting and entertaining is in my blood.